The sky is blue.
The snow is melting.
The paper whites are fading.
Is is over?
you confuse me at times.
The view from my window says come outside and play in the sun.
Are brumal days and nights over?
Is Mama Bear being tempted on this fine Saturday morning to emerge from her hibernaculum?
Her secret winter home,
dug within the hillside
covered with majestic Ponderosa pines
that I see outside my window,
may also be heating up in this weather.
Will she be out today?
Or will she,
prefer to stay tucked inside a cozy den
where one does not have to deal with the vicissitudes of weather and life?
* Inspiration for this bit of prose comes from:
- A post on Facebook by Patricia Polocco where she said, "Make today count...not in a "get more work done" way....but use this day to heal your mind from all the garbage you have dealt with all week, that can't be helped."
- A challenge by Allpoetry.com to write a poem about surviving winter.
- Dictionary.com. This site listed some great words about winter. I don't generally use the words hibernaculum or brumal, but aren't they wonderful words?
- The view from the windows in my upstairs study/guest room.