|Mother & Me|
Last Thursday evening, my sister in San Diego placed a worried call to me about 8:30 p.m. "Hey, I've been trying to reach mother by phone since 4:30 our time. Do you know if she went anywhere? Have you talked to her lately?"
I replied with, "Yes, I spoke briefly with her around noon today. She seemed fine. Didn't speak of any plans. She was just telling me about two baby skunks who had died in one of her window wells and how she'd called an animal control person to come out and get them."
As we continued to speak, we decided that we did have reasons be worried about her.
- She had not been "reachable" for three hours.
- We didn't know of any plans for the evening.
- She doesn't drive, so she wouldn't be out on her own to dinner.
- She doesn't go out with friends in the evening much. She usually goes to lunch if she is going with friends.
- Church meetings are not usually held on Thursday nights.
- We didn't know of any family members who might have driven into to town and taken her out to dinner.
- Perhaps she had been in the yard, had fallen, and could not get up. (She does wear a life alert device, but you never know.)